UNESCO E-library of Park Škocjan Caves and The Karst Biosphere Reserve

The Benedictine Monastery of Pannonhalma was founded in 996 by the Hungarian Duke, Géza. The monastery erected in honour of Saint Martin of Tours had become the eastern bridgehead of medieval European culture.

foto partnerji madzarska-1Pannonhalma Monastery

Abbot Uros (1207-1243), the commissioner of the still existing church fought off the Mongols from the walls of the monastery-stronghold. In the time of Abbot Máté Tolnai Pannonhalma acquired a distinguished position among the Hungarian Benedictine monasteries and in 1541 it became an archabbey. During one and a half centuries of the Turkish Occupation, the monks, had to flee for shorter or longer periods of time. Only later could they start the reconstruction of the damaged buildings.

Since the tradition represented by the Rule of Saint Benedict does not place the emphasis on the work of the community but on community life itself, Joseph II, in 1786, supressed all the monasteries of the Hungarian Benedictine Congregation. The order was restored in 1802 and received secondary education as its primary field of activity.

After 1945 the properties of the Order were confiscated by the communist state. From 1950 the government permitted the secondary schools in Pannonhalma to function again. Since the end of communism in Hungary, the Benedictine community of Pannonhalma, besides continuing educational work, has been trying to find funds to make it possible for them to fulfill their role in the Church and in secular life as well.

The Archabbey – together with its harmonious natural environment – was put on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996. It was declared as cultural heritage, but – because of its amazing landscape-value – the natural environs are also included.

During the last years the touristic infrastructure was rapidly developed: a new restaurant, the rehabilitated botanical garden, an open herb garden with a tea house, and the prize winning Wine Cellar can be visited by the warmly welcomed guests.

Prepared by: 
Akós Pottyondy, Deputy office director, Pannonhalma Benedictine Monastery, Hungary

Izdelava: Studio Matris