UNESCO E-library of Park Škocjan Caves and The Karst Biosphere Reserve

The Bridge over the Drina River in Višegrad is a masterpiece of bridge building. It was built between 1571 and 1577 fallowing the wish and order of Mehmed Pasha Sokolović, and designed by the great court architect “mimar” (builder) Sinan. The oldest written document is about expropriation of land for the building of the bridge (Sidzil Visegrad's qadaa).

foto partnerji bih-2The Mehmed Pasha Sokolović Bridge in Višegrad

The uniqueness of the Višegrad bridge is associated largely with its form - a geniculate structure composed of a section with eleven arches spanning the Drina, and a four – arched ramp by means of which the bridge takes a right angle to join the left bank, following the line of the land. Above the arches, over the full length of the bridge, there is a molded limestone cornice. Above the cornice there is the bridge fence. On top of it the sixth pillar enlarges the both sides of the bridge. On the right side there is a stone wall with a niche, where two tabulas with inscription are located. The overhead, latest inscription, is from 1571/72, the lower inscription is from 1577/78. The width of the road over the bridge is 6.00 m. The parapet walls are 60 cm thick and 179,44 m long. The Bridge over the Drina River is one of the most magnificent works of architecture of the 16th century.

This bridge is the symbol of Višegrad and its region. It was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List at the 31st session of the World Heritage Committee, held in Christchurch, New Zealand, from June 23rd to July 2nd, 2007. The justification for its inscription were criteria (ii) and (iv).


Prepared by: 
Milijana Okilj, Head of Department for Cultural – Historical Heritage, Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Izdelava: Studio Matris